Guys & St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust was singled out for its forward-thinking approach to efficiency when it scooped the title of overall winner at this year’s NHS Sustainability Awards.
The winners of the annual competition were announced at a ceremony in London last week which celebrated healthcare efficiency and sustainable development in a year that has presented many challenges arising from financial cut backs to the NHS.
Other winners included Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, which implemented a £14.8m energy project which is producing £461,000 savings a year for the next 25 years; and West Green Surgery, a GP centre which has carried out extensive work to create a paperless system.
This year also marked the introduction of a new category - Supplier of the Year, which recognised the industry partners who provide value for money, support and guidance to the NHS.
The award was won by Warp-It for its national support on reuse within the NHS, which is delivering millions of pounds of savings per year.
Discussing the winners, NHS Sustainability Day campaign manager, Scott Buckler said: “The awards are now in their fifth year and I am continually impressed and surprised at how much leadership exists within the NHS.
“All our nominees, highly commended, and winners have proven that sustainability is a key driver in ensuring we have an NHS fit for the future.”
And he added: “It is essential, as the NHS approaches its 70th birthday, that we support those shortlisted and those across the country who work hard day and day out to deliver efficiency and drive savings which hold the key to delivering frontline spending and ensuring our national health service survives.”
The winners in full
- Overall Winner: Winner - Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust
- Carbon Award: Winner - Yorkshire Ambulance Service NHS Trust
- Clinical Award: Winner - University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust
- Staff Engagement Award: Winner - Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust
- Travel and Transport Award: Winner - Derby Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Reuse Award: Winner - Barts Heath NHS Trust
- Waste Management Award: Winner - Guy's & St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust
- Energy Award: Winner - Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Procurement Award: Winner - Guy's & St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust
- Innovation Award: Winner - West green surgery - NHS GP Surgery
- Supplier of the Year Award: Winner - Warp it Reuse Network